The aim of this project is to produce an interactive educational
CD about the Irish Examiner company utilising multimedia technologies. The
Irish Examiner company produces a daily, national, broadsheet newspaper,
'The Irish Examiner', and various weekly supplements. The CD provides
educational material in order to enable users to gain a greater
understanding of the daily publishing of a national broadsheet newspaper.
The market for the CD is primary, secondary and third level students and
any member of the public interested in the newspaper company.
The fundamental parts of this project are:
1. An introduction to the new Irish Examiner offices at City Quarter,
Lapps Quay, including video footage and photographs of the office
internally, externally and views from the fourth floor.
2. An interactive office layout detailing the different departments within
the company highlighting the company structure and the various careers
3. An interactive 24-hour production timeline.
4. An animation which follows the course of one story from a news event to
appearing on page one of the Irish Examiner.
5. An interactive history timeline which emphasises a few key dates since
the first Irish Examiner was published in 1841 and includes a few slide
shows of photographs from the archives of the Irish Examiner.
6. An educational section where the user can try out a few different jobs
such as designing a front page of the Irish Examiner, writing an
eye-catching headline for the front page or selecting the best picture for
page one. Each of the sections are interactive where the user can check
their result and then compare their choices to the original Irish Examiner